ASPIRE Aotearoa’s stance, evidence for the Legislation, and what you can do to help save it.
ASPIRE Aotearoa’s stance
In December 2021, the government launched a groundbreaking Action Plan setting out its approach to achieving the Smokefree 2025 goal.
By January 2023, Smokefree Legislation to support the Action Plan came into force. It was designed to:
- Reduce the number of retail outlets selling smoked tobacco products
- Reduce the nicotine content of tobacco products to very low and non-addictive levels
- Introduce a smokefree generation policy to protect young people from addiction to smoking.
However, in November 2023 Aotearoa’s new government announced its intention to repeal the Smokefree Legislation.
We strongly supported the Action Plan and Smokefree Legislation because we believe there is strong evidence that they will result in profound and rapid reductions in smoking prevalence. This will result in substantial improvements to population health and greatly reduce health inequities. Further details are available on our ‘Hot topics’ page here.
We are busy writing blogs, op-eds, and editorials setting out the theoretical rationale and evidence in support of retaining the smokefree laws.
Evidence supporting Aotearoa’s world-leading Smokefree Legislation
Aotearoa’s Action Plan and Smokefree Legislation aim to minimise smoking prevalence and address inequities in smoking and the health inequalities that they cause, particularly for Māori.
You can find a range of evidence and resources about Aotearoa’s Smokefree Legislation below:
Briefings and commentaries:
Awareness, Support, and Perceived Impacts of New Zealand’s Smokefree Aotearoa 2025 Legislation Among Adults Who Smoke or Formerly Smoked - Findings from the Oct-Dec 2022 EASE/ITC New Zealand Survey | ASPIRE Aotearoa
Videos and media coverage:
Over 100 organisations (including ASPIRE Aotearoa, the Cancer Society, Hāpai Te Hauora Tāpui Public Health Authority, and the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners) have signed an open letter to the government. You can find the letter here.
We will continue to add links and useful resources to this page- please keep an eye out for updates.
What can YOU do about the government’s plan to repeal Aotearoa’s world leading Smokefree Legislation
There are lots of ways you can support the Smokefree Legislation:
- Sign and share Hāpai te Hauroa’s petition “Put people over profit – stop the repeal of the smokefree legislation” https://ow.ly/f9T750QbmyF
- There is another petition at Change.org: https://t.co/QSjgYBVA5K
- We've prepared a site you can share to encourage people who support the legislation to take a moment, write to their MP, and register their support for the Smokefree Legislation. If you're keen to write to your MP and happy to share the site with your friends, colleagues and community, please head here.
- Alternatively, you could send an email directly
- You can look up your local MP here https://actionstation.org.nz/tautoko/talk-to-your-mp or here https://www.parliament.nz/en/mps-and-electorates/members-of-parliament/
- You can email the Prime Minister at Christopher.Luxon@parliament.govt.nz
- You can email the Health Minister at Shane.Reti@parliament.govt.nz
Speak out against the repeal on social media
- You could consider reposting links to opeds, briefings or other commentaries explaining the evidence behind the Legislation. You can find examples are here.
- You could also consider responding on social platforms that belong to MPs.
The ASPIRE Aotearoa team.