In November 2023, Aotearoa’s new government announced its intention to repeal Aotearoa’s world-leading Smokefree Legislation. The Legislation is designed to:
- Reduce the number of retail outlets selling smoked tobacco products
- Reduce the nicotine content of tobacco products to very low and non-addictive levels
- Introduce a smokefree generation policy to protect young people from addiction to smoking.
You can read more about the Legislation here.
There are lots of ways you can support the Smokefree Legislation:
- Sign and share Hāpai te Hauroa’s petition “Put people over profit – stop the repeal of the smokefree legislation” https://ow.ly/f9T750QbmyF
- There is another petition at Change.org: https://t.co/QSjgYBVA5K
- We've prepared an email that you can send directly to MPs of your choosing. You can send it as is, or add in your own writing about why you support the Smokefree Legislation. If you like, you can also share the link with friends, family, and colleagues. Please click here.
- Alternatively, you could send an email directly
- You can look up your local MP here https://actionstation.org.nz/tautoko/talk-to-your-mp or here https://www.parliament.nz/en/mps-and-electorates/members-of-parliament/
- You can email the Prime Minister at Christopher.Luxon@parliament.govt.nz
- You can email the Health Minister at Shane.Reti@parliament.govt.nz
Speak out against the repeal on social media
- You could consider reposting links to opeds, briefings or other commentaries explaining the evidence behind the Legislation. You can find examples here.
- You could also consider responding on social platforms that belong to MPs.
The ASPIRE Aotearoa team.
Please bookmark this page and keep an eye out- we will be updating it regularly.