Jude joined the Department in November 2014 as a senior research fellow in the ASPIRE Aotearoa tobacco control research group, with a background in critical psychology, health promotion and applied research. She completed a PhD in 2019 exploring the drivers of long term trends in adolescent risk behaviour, in particular smoking, cannabis use, binge drinking and sexual behaviour. Her research focuses on the impact of the changing social context on youth trends, and the inter-relationships between smoking and other risk behaviours in young people. She is a member of the Adolescent Health Research Group, the team behind the Youth 2000 series, and is a long-term active member of the Public Health Association.
Current projects include:
- A qualitative project investigating the change function and meaning of substance use (and non-use) in young people’s lives (Funding: Marsden Fast Start)
- Leading the young adult strand of the EASE cohort study of smokers and recent quitters (Funding: HRC Programme Grant)
- Analysis of Youth Insights Survey data 2012-2018 to explore the determinants of smoking and smoking decline in Māori and non-Māori Year 10 students aged 14-15 years (Funding: Cancer Society Programme Grant)
- Investigation of cannabis use trends and self-reported cannabis harm in New Zealand adolescents (Funding: University of Otago Research Grant)
- Analysis of youth vaping based on the Youth19 survey, the latest in the Youth 2000 surveys of secondary school students (Funding: HRC)
- Kaai, S.C. Ouimet, J. Martin, N. Quah, A.C.K. Fong, G.T.The New Zealand smokefree 2025 action plan: support for and anticipated behavioural responses to key measures among smokers in the ITC New Zealand (EASE) 2018 and 2020 surveys (Poster).Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, Baltimore, Maryland, USA,March 15-18, 2022.
- Fleming, T. Drayton, B. Sutcliffe, K. Lewycka, S. Clark, T. C.New Zealand Youth19 survey: Vaping has wider appeal than smoking in secondary school students, and most use nicotine-containing e-cigarettes.Australian & New Zealand Journal of Public Health,Advance online publication. doi: 10.1111/1753-6405.13169
- Clark, T. Fleming, T. Le Grice, J. Hamley, L. Crengle, S.Youth19 Showcase & Harnessing the Spark of Life: Maximising Whānau Contributors to Rangatahi Wellbeing.Presenter and discussant. Wellington, Victoria University .
- Gurram, N. Martin, G.Adolescent cannabis use continues its downward trend, New Zealand 2012-2018.New Zealand Medical Journal,133(1510), 91-93.
- Addiction,115(1), 156-157. doi: 10.1111/add.14817
- Society for Nicotine & Tobacco Research (SRNT) Oceania Conference, Sydney, Australia,2019, Oct 24-25
- Youth Drinking in Decline: Thematic Meeting of the Kettil Bruun Society, Krakow, Poland,2019, April 10-12
- OUR Archive - Doctoral thesisUniversity of Otago
- UOW Public Health Seminar, Wellington, New Zealand,24 August 2018
- ASPIRE-NIHI Smokefree 2025 Research Symposium, Wellington, New Zealand,2018
- Bradbrook, S.K. Gifford, H. Cunningham, C. Blakely, T. Thomson, G. Taylor, S.Is the NZ Government responding adequately to the Māori Affairs Select Committee’s 2010 recommendations on tobacco control? A brief review.New Zealand Medical Journal,129(1428), 93-97.